Friday, October 23, 2009

Fun Friday: What is your escapist book of choice?

Here is yet another shameless reminder about The Really Cool Contest we have going on (that ends on Tuesday, so hurry!) + a hint that next month's contest will have something to do with your website.

Today is Fun Friday; the day we don't talk about anything too serious on the blog.

So tell me, what is the one book (or movie if you have to go there) that you can absolutley escape in? A book that you can pick up time & again, and the world around you actually disappears so that it is just you and those characters, you and that setting. What book does that for you?

When I'm reading one of Joanne Fluke's Hannah Swensen novels, I actually live Hannah's life for the time that I'm in the book. Also, every single time I read or watch any version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, I am swept away by the story. I have a lot of Lizzie in me. So, please share about your "escapist" book of choice.

Next week tune in for an editor guest post that will hopefully get us all thinking. We will be talking about Syntax. I know you can't wait.

9 comments:

  1. Oh gosh here I go, Phillipa Gregory novels. Their like history lessons and riveting reads all in one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simone Hawke's "Whims of Creation" always pulls me in, as well as Robert Asprin's MYTH series, I always feel like I'm trapped inside the world and can't get out til the book is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't pick one. Gah!

    I love anything fluffy and commercial for my escapist reading. Anything where I can get lost in the story and (hopefully) not have to think too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T. Anne- I'll be sure to check those out. I like history presented that way.

    Wes- You are Wes.

    L.T. Host- I feel the fluffy and commercial bug a lot. I like to be able to not have to think sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pride and Prejudice, the long version, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Mists of Avalon or The Red Tent either one. I've read them both several times, and love them each time more than the last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I going to sound really immature if I say Harry Potter? Even if I love Stephen King, the Harry Potter books make me feel like a kid again. Also those movies have such a holiday feel, I love to watch them this time of year. They make me feel like anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love commercial for an escape- right now I am reading "The Time Traveler's Wife." Great read, a little explicit in some areas, but beautiful prose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shackelton - Endurance.... There is just something about being in the South Pole that really takes me away to really being there.... It gets me to escape so much I feel colder when reading it and feel warmer after I stop... physically.

    Great question!

    ReplyDelete